Always Follow the Firework Code
- It is illegal to sell fireworks to anyone under 18
- Ensure that all children are supervised
- Read instructions carefully, using a torch or hand lampNEVERuse a naked flame
- Light fireworks at arms length using a taper or firework lighter
- Stand well back andNEVERreturn to a firework after it has been lit, it could explode in your face
- Keep fireworks in a sealed box or tin
- Use them one at a time, replacing the lid immediately
- NEVERthrow fireworks
- NEVERput fireworks in your pocket
- Take care with sparklers, wear suitableglovesto hold them and dispose of sparklers in abucketof water as soon as they are finished
- NEVERgive sparklers to a child under 5
- Keep all pets and animals indoors
- Don't drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Only buyCE marked fireworks
Firing Fireworks Safety GuidelinesWatching fireworks can be great fun especially for children. But figures show that more often than not, it is children rather than adults who get hurt by fireworks. Over the past five years over 350 pre-school children, some as young as one year old, were treated in hospital for firework injuries.
Follow our easy check list for a safe home firework display.Stay Safe and Have Fun.
Before the Display
- Only buyfireworksfrom alegitimate retailer. The correct licenses should be on show or available at the shop
- Mackays of Cambridge Ltdhave invested in a all year round licence to sell Fireworks, and we work closely with Trading Standards.
- Check the fireworks you buy are suitable for the size of garden and meet the current CE regulations. A CE mark will be displayed on each product.
- Please inform neighbours and be aware of their concerns, pets especially can easily become very upset.
- Thoroughly read the instructions printed on the fireworks in daylight and have all necessary safety equipment to hand. It is always a good idea to have abucketof water filled and ready to use to hand.
- A responsible adult should be clearly identified as the person setting off the fireworks.
- It is advisable to have a torch for checking instructions and for the ease of locating the firework fuse
- Please wear suitableeye protectionand suitablegloves(if you don’t have any we do have them for sale at low cost).
- Bucketsof soft earth or sand to stick fireworks into will provide a safe stable environment for setting off fireworks.
- Suitable strong supports for Catherine Wheels andproper rocket launchersare advised.
During the Display
- Don't set off noisy fireworks late at night . It is the law that you must not set off fireworks after 11pm, except for:
- Bonfire Night, when the cut off is 12 midnight.
- New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year when the cut off time is 1am.
- It is strongly advised that you do not drink alcohol before setting off fireworks.
- Light fireworks at arm's length with ataper or portfire.
- Stand well back and keep others back.
- See individual fireworks for safety instructions.
- NEVER go back to a lit firework. If it fails to go off, leave it and much later throw water over it.
- NEVER putfireworksin your pocket or throw them.
- ALWAYS make sure that children are supervised.
- ALWAYS storefireworksin ametal boxand keep it closed whilst other fireworks are going off.
- ALWAYS keep pets indoors.
After the Display
- Usetongsor suitableglovesto collect spentfireworksand put them into water to make sure they are completely out.
- Do not allow children to play with spentfireworksas the chemicals are potentially harmful if transferred from firework to hand to mouth.
- Are unsuitable for children under five. Children MUST be supervised whilst they are being used.
- Light one at a time.
- Wearsuitable gloveswhen holdingsparklersjust imagine what they could do to a young unprotected hand.
- Put usedsparklershot end down into a bucket of sand or water.
- Should be at least18 metres / 60 ft(preferably more) away from houses, sheds or fences.
- Do use domestic firelighters.
- NEVER use petrol,paraffinor other flammable liquids. YOUR EYESIGHT IS VALUABLE TO YOU.
- If possible have agarden hoseavailable and ready for use. If a hose isn't available havebucketsof water to hand.